Back to: GOVERNMENT SS3
Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking about the weakness of military rule in Nigeria. Enjoy the class!
Weakness of Military Rule in Nigeria
- Decrees: The military rule by decrees which often are not in support with the interest of the people. Nobody can question these decrees. They are to be obeyed.
- Dictatorship: A military government is a strict government governed through a dictatorship. There is no majority view in this government or the views of the masses.
- Corruption: There is a high level of corruption in a military government. Leaders are not accountable to anybody.
- Absence of rule of law: Since the military is in charge there is no rule of law because the constitution is suspended under military rule.
- Violation of human rights: Rights of citizens are abused and nobody can seek redress anywhere. The death of Ken Saro Wiwa, a human rights activist is a good example.
- Sanctions from the international community: Nigeria received several sanctions during the military rule which was not healthy for the economy of Nigeria.
- The Nigerian civil war: This took place during the military rule in Nigeria. So many lives and properties were lost. The civil war took place between 1967 and 1970.
Measures that could be taken to prevent military intervention in Nigeria
- Promote good leadership: When Nigeria as a country begins to promote excellent leadership, there would be no need for military intervention. Developed countries around the world enjoy good government as a result of excellent leadership.
- Free and fair elections should be encouraged: Nigeria must put an end to electoral malpractices across the nation.
- Respect for the rule of law: Nobody is above the law. Anyone violating the law should be punished severely.
- Accountability: Our government must be accountable to the people. They should fulfil promises made during the campaign into office.
- The judiciary should be independent of the government: The rulings of the court must be obeyed and respected by all.
- Improve the standard of living: People should have a better living standard of living. Basic amenities should be made available in Nigeria. When this is present, the people will collectively rise and stand against any military government.
- Political education: The public should be educated on the ills of the military government and the gains of a true democracy.
- Mention four failures of the military government in Nigeria.
- Give four ways of preventing the military government from taking over power in Nigeria.
- Using a tabular form, identity five differences between the military government and democracy.
In our next class, we will be talking about the Local Administration in Nigeria. We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.How Can We Make ClassNotesNG Better - CLICK to Tell Us💃
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!
Watch FREE Video Lessons for Best Grades & Academic Success💃