Back to: GOVERNMENT SS3
Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking about the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). Enjoy the class!
The Millennium Development Goals (MDGs)
Origin of MDGs
The MDGs originated from the United Nations Millennium Declaration. The Declaration asserted that every individual has dignity; and hence, the right to freedom, equality, a basic standard of living that includes freedom from hunger and violence and encourages tolerance and solidarity. The MDGs set concrete targets and indicators for poverty reduction to achieve the rights outlined in the Declaration.
191 United Nations member states are committed to helping achieve the following Millennium Development Goals which are:
- To eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- To achieve universal primary education
- To promote gender equality and empower women
- To reduce child mortality
- To improve maternal health
- To combat HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other diseases
- To ensure environmental sustainability.
- To develop a global partnership for development.
The entire members of the United Nations are in support of the Millennial Development Goals.
Achievements of the Millennial Development Goals
- Some countries of the world have achieved some of the millennial development goals. For example, China and India whose poverty level declined from 452 million to 278 million.
- Many countries in the world living below one dollar per day has increased to live above a dollar per day.
- Primary school enrollment has improved globally.
- Many developing countries have attained enrollment of girl child primary education.
- The child mortality rate has reduced rapidly.
- Global maternity rate has reduced.
- More people have gained access to improved drinking water.
Challenges of the Millennial Development Goals
- The MDGs have not been able to include issues that affect women such as violence against women, sexual exploitation and so on.
- Extreme poverty still exists in many countries.
- MDGs do not have an enabling environment to carry out their goals, this is because many policies from some countries hinder them from attaining success.
- A lot of funds are required to attain these goals globally which currently is not available.
- Political instability poses a threat to the attainment of the MDGs. Terrorism and other political violence in some countries hinder the attainment of the MDGs.
A lot of nations have benefited from the efforts of the MDGs. Nigeria is also one of such nations across the world.
- List four millennial development goals.
- State three achievements of the MDGs.
- Identify Four challenges of the MDGs.
- Give two ways some of the challenges of the MDGs can be resolved.
- Give three ways of funding MDGs.
We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.How Can We Make ClassNotesNG Better - CLICK to Tell Us💃
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!
Watch FREE Video Lessons for Best Grades & Academic Success💃