Back to: Agricultural Science Primary 4
Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking about more steps in growing ornamental plants. Enjoy the class!
Further steps in making ornamental plants
We mentioned in the last class that shrubs and flowers are examples of ornamental plants. A shrub is a small plant with woody stem and branches. It may or may not produce flowers. Examples are the sunflower, marigold, and zinnia.
Steps in growing ornamental plants
These following eight steps are involved in growing shrubs:
- Land clearing: Clear a suitable piece of land or spot for planting the shrub. Cutlasses and hoes are mostly used to do this.
- Look at the diagram below and describe what the men are doing.
- Mention the tools that they are using.
- Seedbed preparation: Dig the soil to soften it. Mark out the area of the bed. Raise the bed above the ground to prevent water erosion.
- Manuring: Spread manure lightly on the tilled soil.
- Planting: Plant the seeds or seedlings, but usually the cuttings. Cut a young branch of the shrub to be grown to the size required. Remove the leaves of the cut branch. Push the cut branch into the soil in a slanting position, leaving the greater part above the soil.
- Watering: Water the plants regularly.
- Mulching (this is done mostly during the dry season): Cover the soil with decaying leaves to improve its quality. This also protects the roots of plants and stops weeds from growing.
- Weeding: Remove the unwanted plants, i.e. weeds around the plants frequently.
- Pruning: Prune the plants to the correct size as they grow. Use pruning scissors to do this.
- mention two examples of ornamental plants.
- List the farming tools needed for clearing land.
- What are shrubs?
- Mention the steps that are involved in growing ornamental plants.
- What is mulching?
- Why do we need to mulch when growing ornamental plants?
In our next class, we will be talking about Materials Required for Compost Making. We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.How Can We Make ClassNotesNG Better - CLICK to Tell Us💃
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!
Watch FREE Video Lessons for Best Grades & Academic Success💃