Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking about the preservation of farm produce. Enjoy the class!
Preservation of farm produce
Meaning of preservation of food
After farm produce is harvested, they are either eaten immediately, processed, or preserved. Preservation is the art of keeping food or farm produce in good condition for use in future. It helps to keep food from being damaged or destroyed. It makes the product still look fresh whenever we want to use it.
- Can you describe what the men in the pictures below are doing?
- Can you explain what will happen to these products if they do not do what they are doing?
Importance of farm produce preservation
There are many reasons for preserving farm produce. Below are a few of those reasons.
- It makes the farm produce retain its freshness: Food items that are kept in the refrigerator still look fresh even after some time, unlike those not refrigerated.
- It helps to reduce the loss of such farm produce: For example, if tomato fruits and fish are not preserved, they will soon decay, and we will not be able to use them again.
- It helps to prolong the shelf life of farm produce: For example, The milk obtained from cows cannot stay for a long time, but, when it is preserved (in cans), it can be in the supermarket and be used at homes even after a long time.
- It helps to prevent the users or consumers from contamination or infection present in the farm produce: Insects, both seen and unseen (including houseflies) are easily attracted to unpreserved food or farm produce. Such insects can easily deposit on the food things that make those that eat the food very sick.
- Preservation makes food available in areas where they are not produced: For examples are brought to Lagos from Jos. Tomatoes and other fruits are carried to other parts of the country from the northern states.
- It helps to reduce food spoilage.
- It makes planting materials available for other seasons i.e. makes farm produce remain good and viable for planting in the next season.
- What is food preservation?
- State three reasons why we preserve food.
- Read up different methods of preserving farm produce
- Explain five importance of preserving farm produce
We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.Pass WAEC, JAMB, POST-UTME & more in One Sitting for FREE!💃