Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s Home Economics class, We will start learning about Textile. We hope you enjoy the class!
Sub Topic: Definition, Basic Textile Names.
Textile is a Latin word. It derives from the adjective ‘textilis’ meaning woven. This is a flexible material consisting of a network of natural or artificial fibres. It can also be defined as any material made interlaced with fibres that includes carpeting.
Basic textile terms
- Yarn: is a thread made by twisting or spinning fibres
- Fabrics: is a cloth constructed with yarn or directly from fibres by weaving, knitting, crocheting and felting
- Weft: is the yarn that runs cross in a fabric. It is at a right angle across the selvedge grain
- The wrap: is like the yarn or thread which runs lengthwise in a woven fabric, it is parallel to the selvedge.
- The selvedge: this is the edge of the fabric made by the weft thread or yarn by turning over the thread.
Reasons for studying textile
- To identify different types of fabric and their characteristics or properties
- To use fabrics correctly
- Ability to choose or select suitable fabrics
- Helps us take care if our clothing
- Helps us to understand the properties and characteristics if textiles such as reaction to water, heat and fire
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will be talking about the Importance of Textile. We are very much eager to meet you there.
Are you a Parent? Share your quick opinion and win free 2-month Premium Subscription