Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s Home Economics class, We will be learning about Properties of different types of Fibres. We will also be looking at Care of Fibre. We hope you enjoy the class!
The following make up the properties of textile
Properties of cotton
- It creases quickly unless it is treated
- Absorbs moisture quickly and easily to dye
- Washes easily
Properties of linen
- It is smooth and shiny
- It is quite strong
- Rapidly absorbs moisture
Properties of silk
- It is smooth
- It is very strong and cannot be easily cut by hand
- It absorbs dye
Properties of wool
- Stretches easily
- Shrinks when wet
- Does not crease
Uses of textiles
- Construction of personal and family clothing
- Construction of household linen e.g. bed sheets, curtains etc.
- Production of sport wears e.g. Shoes, T-shirt
- Production of swimming wears
- For net and tents
- Beautifying and adorning the body
Care of textiles
- Wash all dirty clothes
- Dry them
- Iron them
Reasons for the care of textiles
- To make the clothing last longer as dirt can damage fabrics
- To kill disease-carrying germs and pests in the fabrics. Our skin cannot be cleaner than the clothes we are wearing
- To save money, since clean clothes last longer.
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will continue learning about Textile as we look into the Production of a Woven Table Mat. We are very much eager to meet you there.
Pass WAEC, JAMB, POST-UTME & more in One Sitting for FREE!💃