Back to: Basic Science Primary 5
At the end of the class, students must be able to define and recall what rocks are, the different types of rocks and the various uses of rocks
WHAT ARE ROCKS?
A rock is a solid made up of a bunch of different minerals fused together. Rocks are generally not uniform or exactly made of the same stuff or strength.
TYPES OF ROCK
Scientists generally classify rocks by how they were made or formed. There are three types of rocks namely:
Metamorphic rocks are formed by great heat and pressure. They are generally found inside the Earth where there is enough heat and pressure to form the rocks. Metamorphic rocks are often made from other types of rock.
Igneous rocks are formed by volcanoes. When a volcano explodes, it comes out hot and melted rock formed from it is called lava and it is broken down into igneous rocks.
Sedimentary rocks are formed by years and years of grounds compacting together and becoming hard. Generally, something like a stream or river will carry lots of small pieces of rocks and minerals to a larger body of water.
IMPORTANCE OF ROCKS TO MAN
There are so many benefits that rocks provide man. Some of these importance include the following:
- Rocks are very important to man because we use them as fuel for power.
- Many important minerals such as gold and diamond are gotten directly from rocks.
- Salt can be extracted from rocks and can be used to preserve the food we eat.
- Rocks also serve as a source of water supply because many springs and wells all over the world get their water from rocks.
- Some rocks contain plenty of clay. The clay derived from some rocks is used in producing ceramic plates.
USES OF ROCKS
Rocks are used for many purposes but some of them that we can see in our daily life are used for:
- Making Cement
- Making Chalk
- Building Material
- ornamental stone
- Making irons and metals.
List the types of rocks.
- Rocks are the hard substance.
- They are solid material that form part of the main surface of the Earth.
- There are three main types of rocks according to how they are formed. These rocks are: Igneous rock, sedimentary rock and metamorphic rock.
- Mention 2 minerals found in rocks
- Give two examples each under the types of rocks
- Define sedimentary Rock.
Your Opinion Matters! Quickly tell us how to improve your Learning Experience HERE
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!