Back to: Agricultural Science Primary 3
Welcome to class, we will be talking about the method of preserving food. I am sure that as you follow up you will enjoy the class.
In the previous lesson, we learned that food preservation is a way of keeping our foods from spoiling. This is achieved in various ways. Let’s look at a few of them.
- Sun-drying: this involves the spreading of food items in the sun to dry. Such food items like cocoa, beans, peeled yam and cassava, maize etc. sun-drying removes water from the food.
- Smoking: we preserve food like fish and meat by smoking them under wood or coal fire. Smoking makes sure water is removed from food items.
- Frying: We can preserve food items like chicken, fish, meat, yam, potatoes, plantain etc by frying them in vegetable oil.
4. Salting: Ground pepper, fish, and meat are easily preserved by mixing it with salt. Salting preserves and helps to keep germs away from food items.
5. Canning And Bottling: Canning is the method of putting or preserving food by putting them in air-tight containers. While bottling involves putting food items especially drinks in bottles. The two methods are done in factories, chemicals are added to prevent germs and it keeps food for a longer time.
6. Refrigeration: Food items like fruits, vegetables, eggs, fish and other food items are kept in refrigerators and freezers to preserve them. It is a new and easy way of preserving food.
- Mention four ways meat can be preserved
we have come to the end of the class. If you have any questions ask using the comment box. Thank you for your time.Your Opinion Matters! Quickly tell us how to improve your Learning Experience HERE
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!