Back to: Agricultural Science Primary 3
Welcome to class, we will be talking about vegetable crops. I am sure that as you follow up you will enjoy the class.
Meaning Of Vegetables
Vegetables are usually leafy plant crops, grown for their leaves. vegetable crops, is here meant to refer to a classification of agricultural crops under horticulture. These crops are plants having edible parts that are used in culinary preparations either cooked or raw, as in salad recipes.
- Mention some common vegetable plant in your locality.
- Would you classify tomatoes as vegetables?
Examples of common vegetables include:
Pepper, okra, green(Amaranthus), cabbage, bitter leaf, water leaf, pumpkin leaves(Ugu), ewedu leaves, etc
Common vegetables in Nigeria
Uses Of Vegetable Crops
- They are used in cooking or preparing soup even stew.
- Some vegetables are eaten raw eg cabbage
- Some vegetables are used as medicine to prepare local herbs.
- They provide us with iron, calcium and other vitamins
- Animals or livestock are fed with vegetables.
- They are sources of roughages which are needed during digestion.
- Name four leafy vegetables you know
- ———–. b) ————-. c) —————— d) ——————-
- Pepper and Okra are ———- a) Fruits. b) Vegetables. c) Tuber crops
- Vegetables can serve as food to man. True or False ————
- Vegetables also have ——— value. a) costly b) medicinal. c) foodly
- Our body can derive ——– from vegetables. a) vitamins. b) proteins.
we have come to the end of the class. If you have any questions ask using the comment box. Thank you for your time.
How Can We Make ClassNotesNG Better? - CLICK to Tell Us Now!
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!
Watch FREE Video Lessons for Best Grades on Afrilearn HERE!💃