Back to: Basic Science Primary 4
Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking about shapes. Enjoy the class!
Shape Construction with Paper
In previous classes, we must have learnt about different shapes such as rectangle, square, circle etc. We can group objects according to their shapes.
In this lesson, we will be learning materials used in constructing shapes, how to cut paper into shapes and constructing shapes by folding papers.
Concept of shapes
Shape is the external form or outline of something or someone. Everything we see in the world around us has a shape. We can find different basic shapes such as the two-dimensional square, rectangle, and oval or the three-dimensional rectangular prism, cylinder, and sphere in the objects we see around us. These shapes can be constructed either by representing their length and breadth(two dimensional) of their length, breadth, and height(three dimensional).
Tools for cutting and constructing shapes:
Apart from drawing shapes, they can also be constructed with paper or other materials. Constructing shapes with paper requires the following tools: scissors, cardboard Paper, paper gum, Sellotape, compass, and ruler. The different shapes that can be constructed are box, cylinder, cone, funnel, ball, etc.
- What is shape?
- Mention two-dimensional shapes.
- List four tools required in shape construction.
Shape construction methods
Shapes can be constructed using the following methods:
- Folding: When making shapes, materials can be folded in different ways and into different patterns. Such materials include paper, plastics, metal sheets and wires.
- Bending: in shape construction, materials can also be bent to form. Paper and metal sheets can be bent but plastic cannot be easily bent except with the use of bending machines.
- Cutting: Materials for shape construction can be cut using scissors, knives, saw, snips, and razor blades. Paper and plastics can easily be cut using scissors. Woods are cut using a saw.
- Joining: Adhesives of different strength, glue, gum, and welding substances are used for joining materials during shape construction. For joining the paper, glue or gum is used. For joining wood, bond or top gum is used, while for metals, soldering irons and welding machine are used.
- Mention five materials that can be used to construct shapes
- ——– and ——— can be used to cut paper.
- ———– is used in joining metals.
Mention and explain four methods used in shape construction.
In our next class, we will be talking about How to Construct Shapes by Using Wood, Paper or Metal. We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.How Can We Make ClassNotesNG Better - CLICK to Tell Us💃
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!
Watch FREE Video Lessons for Best Grades & Academic Success💃