Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking about soil constituents. Enjoy the class!
Living things are broadly classified into plants and animals. Animals are seen as producers in the ecosystem. They manufacture food and store while other organisms depend on them directly or indirectly. To be able to do this effectively, plants need to grow in good soils. In today’s lesson, we will learn about soil and its constituents.
Meaning and types of soil
Soil is the topmost layer of the earth’s crust. It serves as habitat for some lower organisms. The soil is where the root of most plants are buried. It serves to hold the plant firmly to the ground. It is also the place where plants draw the nutrient they need to grow and produce food for animals. The water needed by plant too is gotten from the soil.
There are three types of soil. They are
- Sandy soil
- Loamy soil
- Clay soil.
The best type of soil that supports plant growth and provides the right nutrient for plant growth is the loamy soil
- What is soil?
- Mention the three types of soil we have?
- Name the best soil for plants.
We have learnt that the best soil type for plants is loamy soil. Let us find out the properties and components of this soil type that makes it the best.
Soil constituents are those things that can be found in the soil type. They are
- Leaf litters
- Small rocks
- Dead animals
- Living animals.
Properties of loamy
- They can retain the right amount of water for plant growth.
- It has the right amount of humus which makes it highly fertile.
- Mention five constituents of soil.
- Mention those properties of loamy soil that makes it the best for plants.
- Get a container or tin. Add loamy soil, plant a few seeds of beans in it, water it and keep it in an airy place. After four days, observe the plants.
In our next class, we will be talking about Growing Plants – Gardening Tools and Conditions for Growing Crops. We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.Pass WAEC, JAMB, POST-UTME & more in One Sitting for FREE!💃