Back to: Basic Science Primary 4
Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking about food (types and uses). Enjoy the class!
Food (Types and Uses)
In the last lesson, we learnt about a part of the feeding system. The mouth, teeth, tongue and lips and the different roles they play during feeding. Feeding is a life process. Organisms cannot survive for long without food.
In this lesson, we will be learning types of food and their uses.
Food is any substance consumed to provide nutritional support for an organism. Food is usually of plant or animal origin; it provides nutrients needed to sustain life. Food makes your bodywork, grow, and repair itself. The food contains macronutrients and micronutrients. Macronutrients are needed in large quantities. They are carbohydrates, protein, and fats. While micronutrients are needed in small quantities. They are vitamins and mineral salts.
- What is food?
- Mention the micronutrients and macronutrients in food.
There are seven groups of food substances, they are carbohydrates, protein, fats and oils, mineral salts, vitamins, water, and roughages.
- Carbohydrates: carbohydrates are macronutrients. They are needed in large quantities. The main sources of carbohydrates are yam, rice, maize, millet, guinea corn, potatoes, bread and garri.
- Protein: Protein us another The animal sources of proteins are milk, egg, fish, cheese, meat, and chicken while the plant sources are beans, groundnuts, and soya beans.
- Fats and Oils: Fats and oils are macronutrients. They are also called lipids. Sources of fats and oils are palm oil, groundnut, melon oil, butter, fish, cheese, margarine, and lard.
- Mineral Salts: Mineral salts are required in small quantities by the body. And are usually taken through the food we eat. They include sodium, chlorine, iodine, iron, manganese, copper, cobalt, fluorine, sulphur, magnesium etc.
- Vitamins: These are also required in small amounts. They are vitamins A, B, C, D, E and K.
Uses of food substances
- Carbohydrates provide energy for daily activities
- Proteins are used majorly to repair worn out tissues.
- Fats and oils provide energy for daily activities. They also maintain body temperature.
- Mineral salts are needed for various metabolic activities in the body.
- Vitamins are needed for growth and body development.
- Water is needed for proper digestion of food.
- Roughages stimulates bowel movement and prevents constipation.
- List the seven groups of food substances.
- Differentiate between macronutrients and micronutrients
- ——- and ——- provides energy for the body
- ——— prevents constipation
- Which of the food substances aids digestion?
- Write six uses of food.
- List five types of mineral resources.
In our next class, we will be talking about Balanced Diet (Adequate Diet). We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.How Can We Make ClassNotesNG Better - CLICK to Tell Us💃
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!
Watch FREE Video Lessons for Best Grades & Academic Success💃