Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking about our weather. Enjoy the class!
Every part of the world experiences one form of weather or the other. The weather of a given place determines the nature of the plants and animals that can be found there. Different factors determine the type of weather that can be found in an area.
Definition of concept
Weather is the condition of the atmosphere of a particular area at a given period. The condition of the atmosphere can either be hot or cold. The climate on the other hand is the relative permanent condition of the weather over a long period in a given area.
The study of weather is called meteorology. A weather expert is referred to as a meteorologist. Meteorologists work to forecast weather meaning that they foretell weather conditions. The act of predicting weather is called weather forecast.
Look out of the window or step outside from where you are. What do you feel? What can you see? Can you describe the condition of the atmosphere? Is the sun out or is it raining? Share your experience and thoughts with a friend.
Factors affecting weather
Various factors affect or determine weather conditions. The factors are:
- Sunshine: this is the amount of light from the sun that is made available in a given place
- Wind: wind is air in motion that is moving air across the surface of the earth.
- Temperature: Temperature measures the degree of hotness or coldness of a body. That is, how hot or cold the environment is.
- Rainfall: Rainfall is another factor that affects weather. Water vapour in the atmosphere condenses forms clouds and falls back as rain.
- Humidity: This is the amount of water vapour in the atmosphere. When humidity is high, the weather is cold and when humidity is low, the weather is hot.
- Atmospheric Pressure
Think about a typical rainy day, and make a drawing showing how people behave on a rainy day. How they dress, what they walk around with. Do they go out or stay indoors?
Our reaction to weather conditions
Weather conditions are shown in the changes that take place in weather factors. The condition of the weather at any given time in our environment affects the way we behave or react.
When the sun shines brightly, we say it’s a bright day and we tend to feel happy. When the atmosphere is dull and cloudy, we sometimes feel low. When the day is bright and sunny, we wear light clothes and shoes and when it rains, we wear more heavy clothes, rain boots, and walk around with umbrellas.
- What is weather?
- Mention five factors that affect weather.
In our next class, we will be talking about Weather Instruments, Symbols and Record Chart. We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.Pass WAEC, JAMB, POST-UTME & more in One Sitting for FREE!💃