Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s Home Economics class, We will be discussing Adolescence and Sexuality. We hope you enjoy the class!
ADOLESCENCE AND SEXUALITY
- MEANING OF ADOLESCENCE
- CHARACTERISTICS OF ADOLESCENCE
- SPECIAL NEEDS AND CHALLENGES
- MEANING AND EXPRESSION OF SEXUALITY
Adolescence is the period in every person’s life that lies between the end of childhood and the beginning of adulthood. It is a period of life when you prepare to be an adult. An adolescent is a boy or girl that is passing through the adolescent period.
CHARACTERISTICS OF ADOLESCENCE
The adolescent boys or girls generally:
- Feel hungry easily. This is because they are growing fast and therefore need extra food.
- They try to gain independence from their parents.
- They may bother about their appearance.
- Adolescents could start being attracted to the opposite sex.
- The boy or girl has an outlook of adulthood and not that of a child.
- They could show concern about their future.
- Adolescents have emotional changes, being anxious, moody or irritable.
- Some may be aggressive and not submissive
SPECIAL NEEDS AND CHALLENGES OF ADOLESCENT
- Adjustment: They have problems adjusting to their physical changes. At this time, they are often uncomfortable, and anxious.
- Peer pressure: They always want to go along with their peers in the area of dressing and expression of sexuality.
- Physical needs: These arise as a result of the physical changes in them. For instance, they need new clothes to replace outgrown ones, brassiere as their breasts develop, etc.
- Independence: They often want to do things their own way. They dislike being directed by an elder.
- Status problem: They want to behave like adults when they are not yet fully adults. For instance, girls may try putting on make-ups, boys may try to smoke.
- Need for Achievement: Adolescents want to excel. When they fail, they become unhappy.
- Parental understanding and support: Parents should understand what their adolescent children are passing through. They should also provide for their needs and be more tolerant.
- State three characteristics of adolescence.
- State three special needs and challenges of an adolescent.
MEANING AND EXPRESSION OF SEXUALITY
Sexuality refers to having an interest in or engaging in a reproductive act between a male and a female.
Sexuality is expressed by both male and female through:
- Exchange of gifts between the opposite sexes. Such gifts may be as snacks, some express words of love.
- Some go to the extent of touching others with their lips (kisses).
- Being attracted to one another or falling in love with the opposite sex.
- Caresses: boys especially love and enjoy touching or holding the opposite sex while moving or discussing. Some girls enjoy doing the same.
Sexuality Related information can be obtained through:
– Reading of novel
– Watching film of interest
– Watching videos
– Engaging in or listening to discussion among peers, parents, radios etc.
– Reading newspapers and magazines
GENERAL EVALUATION QUESTIONS
- Explain some of the challenges that adolescent can face.
- Explain two ways sexuality can be expressed.
- Explain three responsibilities of a good homemaker.
- Narrate two qualities of a good homemaker.
- Mention three ways of resolving conflicts in the family.
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will be talking about Sexually Transmitted Diseases. We are very much eager to meet you there.
LEARN TO CODE IN 8 WEEKS. Pay Only ₦25000 To Join Class💃
Access Fun Video Lessons to Pass WAEC, NECO, JAMB, POST-UTME in One Sitting💃