Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s Home Economics class, We will be discussing Classification of Foods for Storage. We hope you enjoy the class!
CLASSIFICATION OF FOODS FOR STORAGE
- NON PERISHABLE FOODS/ DRY FOODS: These are foods that can keep well for a reasonable length of time. They do not spoil easily and they contain a lesser percentage of moisture. They can be kept for a long time without getting spoilt. Examples are flour, beans, sugar, yam, dried maize, etc. Non-perishable foods can be kept in airtight containers.
Important Points on Storage of Non-Perishable Foods
- a) Store only foods that are free from weevils and other insects.
- b) Store food in dry and well-covered containers.
- c) Foods such as beans, maize, etc. can be stored for very long periods in air-tight plastic containers.
- PERISHABLE FOODS: These are foods that spoil very fast as a result of the high moisture content. Such foods include tomatoes, fresh fish, fresh meats, fresh fruits, eggs, vegetables, etc. Perishable foods are stored in the refrigerators.
Important points on Storage of Perishable Foods
- a) Fresh meat and fish can be stored in the freezer.
- b) Fruits and vegetables can be stored in the lowest part of the refrigerator.
- c) Prolonged storage of fruits and vegetables in the refrigerator can cause some of them to lose their taste, colours and nutritive values.
- d) Perishable foods can also be processed into forms that can store for fairly long periods. For example, vegetables can be dried while fish and meat can be smoked.
- State three importance of food storage.
- Differentiate between perishable and non-perishable foods with examples.
TYPES AND CARE OF FOOD STORAGE FACILITIES IN THE HOME
- Plastic container with cover: Wash thoroughly, rinse very well and label correctly.
- Food rack, shelves, cabinet or cupboard: Clean thoroughly, empty the cupboard and clean according to type.
- Freezer\Refrigerator: Unplug before cleaning. Clean occasionally with drops of vinegar.
- Food store: Arrange food items and containers properly. Clean the store very thoroughly once every week.
GENERAL EVALUATION QUESTIONS
- State three reasons for preserving foods
- What is food preservation?
- Differentiate between perishable and non-perishable foods with four examples each.
- What is food storage?
- Differentiate between food storage and food preservation.
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will be talking about Opening and Fastening. We are very much eager to meet you there.
LEARN TO CODE IN 8 WEEKS. Pay Only ₦25000 To Join Class💃
Access Fun Video Lessons to Pass WAEC, NECO, JAMB, POST-UTME in One Sitting💃