Welcome to JSS2 Second Term!
We are building on our work from the First term as we learn more about Home Economics.
In today’s class, We will be discussing Family Conflicts. We hope you enjoy the class!
- MEANING OF FAMILY CONFLICTS
- CAUSES OF CONFLICTS IN THE FAMILY
- WAYS OF RESOLVING CONFLICTS IN THE FAMILY
MEANING OF CONFLICTS
A conflict is referred to as a disagreement among a set of people. It can also mean a struggle between two or more people who disagree. A conflict could be verbal, physical or both. It can be between friends, between siblings or even between a husband and a wife.
A family conflict is a struggle/disagreement between two or more family members over issues.
CAUSES OF CONFLICT IN THE FAMILY
- Selfishness / Greediness: A member may always want to have his or her way regardless of the family standard.
- Conflicts may arise when parents/parents show more love/attention to a child more than others.
- When a child disobeys his / her parent, conflict can arise.
- Transfer of aggression probably as a result of poverty or ill health can equally bring about conflict at home.
- Personality / individual differences: No two individual are alike, not even identical twins. Individual differences arise from heredity and environment. Some people may be slow and quiet, while others could be fast, noisy and outstanding. These different behavioural patterns can bring about conflicts in the family.
- Power struggles: Conflicts can occur when people feel a need to be in control. power is the ability to influence another person. This could be between a husband and a wife, a brother and a sister. This can equally bring conflict into the family.
- What is Conflict?
- State five causes of conflicts in a family.
RESULTS OF FAMILY CONFLICT
- Conflicts lead to frustration, anger, sorrow, pains, etc.
- Conflicts may lead to fighting, injury or death.
- Conflicts can break up relationships among friends and family members.
- In the heat of anger, it is easy to say the wrong thing and hurt another person’s feelings.
WAYS OF RESOLVING CONFLICTS IN THE FAMILY
- Becoming aware of the conflict or problem. Most conflicts in the family are based on differences among people.
- Learn to understand the character of each member of the family.
- Make corrections in love and be patient.
- Settle conflicts through dialogue and not only punishments.
- People should learn to teach by practical example and not only in words.
- Give positive interpretations of one’s behaviour.
- Those involved should be ready to negotiate and compromise their beliefs.
GENERAL EVALUATION QUESTIONS
- Define: (a) Conflict (b) Family conflict
- Explain the two causes of family conflict.
- Outline four negative results of conflict.
- State three guidelines for conflict resolution.
- What is family values?
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will be talking about Family Crisis. We are eager to meet you there.For more class notes, videos, homework help etc download our Mobile App HERE
Join ClassNotes.ng Telegram Community HERE for exclusive content and support