Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s Home Economics class, We will be discussing Puberty and Hygiene. We hope you enjoy the class!
PUBERTY AND HYGIENE
- MEANING OF PUBERTY
- SIGNS OF PUBERTY IN MALES AND FEMALES
- MENSTRUATION, MENSTRUAL CYCLE AND HYGIENE
Good grooming is the act of taken care of oneself from hair to toe. It involves the care of one’s parts of the body, taking the right food, putting on the right clothes at any time and maintaining good posture.
It is the short span of time that marks the beginning of sexual maturation in both boys and girls. This maturation period differs between boys and girls. Boys generally reach puberty at about fourteen years while girls reach it earlier at about twelve. There are individual differences. Therefore these periods cannot be the same for everybody.
SIGNS OF PUBERTY IN BOYS
- Sex organs develop – that is the production of sperm or spermatozoa by sex gland called testicles.
- Hairs grow at the pubic region, armpit, around the jaw, etc.
- Enlargement/development of muscles.
- Voice breaks and it becomes deeper.
- Rapid growth in height and size.
- Shoulder and chest grow bigger.
SIGNS OF PUBERTY GIRLS
- Hairs grow at pubic region and armpit.
- Enlargement of the hips.
- Skin may change and pimples may appear on the face.
- The breasts develop and nipples grow larger.
- Commencement of menstruation.
- Rapid growth in height and size.
- Define puberty.
- State three signs of puberty both in boys and girls.
This is the monthly flow of blood from the womb through the vagina in every woman of childbearing age. This period of monthly flow is called the menstrual period.
This period takes place after every 25-30 days. This number of days is called the menstrual circle. Both menstrual cycle and periods differ from one person to another. During menstruation, the blood that flows always produce very bad odour if one fails to keep the body clean.
This is the act of keeping one’s body clean during menstruation. The following are hygiene practices during menstruation.
- Bath at least twice daily, especially during menstruation.
- Always change the pads after which you have a local bath of the vulva area to prevent bad odour.
- Dispose of the sanitary pad adequately.
- Always use correct sanitary pads during your menstruation period.
- Wash and change pants and underwears regularly.
- Wear clean clothes.
- Wash hands after each change of pad.
- What is menstruation?
- State three ways of maintaining menstrual hygiene.
Body odour is unpleasant smell that comes from the body. A clean body is expected to be odourless; therefore bad odour could be as a result of improper care or not taken care of the body.
CAUSES OF BODY ODOUR
- Improper care during menstruation.
- Accumulation of dirt in the body.
- Putting on dirty clothes always.
- Irregular bathing can also cause bad odour.
- Using poor body care products.
- Stale perspiration.
PREVENTION OF BODY ODOUR
- Wearing clean clothes always.
- Using good body care products helps to prevent body odour.
- Always observe good hygiene during menstruation.
- Have regular bathing especially after exercise and during menstruation.
- Change your underwear every day.
- Use good perfumes and deodorants sparingly. Avoid heavy make-up.
- What is body odour?
- State three causes of body odour.
IMPORTANCE OF PERSONAL HYGIENE
- It helps to remove body odour.
- It results in better health.
- It gives a more attractive appearance.
- It gives an individual the confidence needed to be in the company of mates.
- It also helps an individual to cope with such temporary physical conditions such as oily skin, increased perspiration, etc.
GENERAL EVALUATION QUESTIONS
- Explain body odour.
- Explain the necessary hygiene to be observed during menstruation.
- Who is a homemaker?
- State three importance of personal hygiene.
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will be talking about Adolescence and Sexuality. We are very much eager to meet you there.
For more class notes, homework help, exam practice, download our App HERE
Join ClassNotes.ng Telegram Community for exclusive content and support HERE