Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s Home Economics class, We will be discussing the Purchase of Foodstuff. We hope you enjoy the class!
PURCHASE OF FOODSTUFF
- Importance of Buying Good Quality Foodstuff
- Factors to Consider when buying foods
- Methods of Purchasing Foods
- Wise Buying Practices
IMPORTANCE OF BUYING GOOD QUALITY FOODSTUFFS
- Best quality foods usually keep better and yield a greater number of portions than poor quality foods as a result of this best quality food should be purchased.
- Good quality foodstuffs are fresh, wholesome, attractive and nutritious.
- They can be stored for a long time.
- There will be no wastage or contamination by food spoilage organisms.
- Good quality foods give satisfaction and the nutrients content is still intact.
FACTORS TO CONSIDER WHEN BUYING FOOD
- Size of the family: A family of three will definitely require less food than a family of ten.
- Quality of food: Buying good quality foodstuff will help to save more money and prevent wastages.
- Foods in season: They are foodstuffs that are in their harvest time. They are cheaper and at their best.
- Money available: This determines the quality and quantity of food to buy and where to buy.
- The family food needs: It is necessary to consider the nutritional needs of the family members, their food preferences, likes and dislikes.
- Where to buy: Decide in advance where to purchase from. Food can be bought in an open market, supermarket, special stores, etc. Buy where foodstuff is best and cheapest.
- Food preservation and storage facilities available e.g. refrigerator, cupboards, etc.
- When to buy: For instance, vegetables and meat are best purchased in the mornings in the open markets.
- List and explain three factors to consider when purchasing foodstuffs.
- State two importance of buying good quality food.
METHODS OF PURCHASING FOODS
There are two methods of purchasing foods.
- Bulk Purchasing/buying
- Piecemeal purchasing
BULK PURCHASING: This involves buying a large quantity of different foodstuffs at a time. Buying in bulk will be wise especially when foods are in season.
Advantages of Bulk Buying
- a) It is economical and saves money.
- b) It saves time and energy.
- c) It ensures that food is always in the home.
- d) It enables the family to make use of food in season. Foods in season can be bought at a cheaper rate and stored for the time they are scarce and expensive.
Disadvantages of Bulk Buying
- a) It can lead to wastage. Some of the food items can go bad or spoil if there is no good storage facility.
- b) It can take much of the family income, and prevent the purchase of other needed commodities.
- c) One kind of food purchased in bulk can become monotonous to the family diet.
- d) Some foodstuffs loose taste when kept for too long.
PIECE MEAL: This simply means buying in small quantity at a time.
Advantages of Piece Meal Purchasing
- a) It does not require a large sum of money.
- b) It does not lead to wastages.
- c) It is a good choice for a homemaker who lacks storage facilities.
Disadvantages of Piece Meal
- a) It wastes time, money and energy.
- b) Food is not always available and this may cause some embarrassment in an emergency.
- c) It makes the management of family resources inadequate.
- Differentiate between bulk and piecemeal purchasing.
- State three advantages of bulk purchasing.
WISE BUYING PRACTICES
- Make a shopping list and keep to it when buying.
- Ensure that there are adequate storage facilities for the items to be purchased.
- Buy foods in season.
- Judge the quality and values of food before buying.
- Read labels on packaged food containers.
- Make bulk purchases whenever possible.
- Compare values and prices in different stores and with different sellers.
- Check measurement when buying foodstuffs such as grains, pulses, etc.
GENERAL EVALUATION QUESTIONS
- State three importance of buying good quality foodstuffs.
- Mention five wise buying practices.
- List and explain types of buying.
- State five ways of maintaining food hygiene.
- List and explain the types of kitchen equipment.
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will be talking about Food Preservation and Storage. We are very much eager to meet you there.
LEARN TO CODE IN 8 WEEKS. Pay Only ₦25000 To Join Class💃
Access Fun Video Lessons to Pass WAEC, NECO, JAMB, POST-UTME in One Sitting💃