Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s Home Economics class, We will be discussing Kitchen and Kitchen Equipment. We hope you enjoy the class!
KITCHEN AND KITCHEN EQUIPMENT
- Kitchen Arrangements
- Kitchen Safety and Hygiene
- Kitchen Equipment
The kitchen is the workshop in the home where preparation and cooking of food take place. It is the most important room in the house.
Kitchen arrangements refer to the way and manner kitchen equipment and appliances are arranged inside the kitchen. There are four main kitchen arrangements which many Home Economists call kitchen shapes, plans or layout.
TYPES OF KITCHEN PLAN
- THE CORRIDOR TYPE: In this type, the equipment and appliances are fixed against two opposite walls.
- THE ‘L’ SHAPED TYPE: Here, equipment and appliances are arranged along two adjoining walls.
- THE ‘U’ SHAPED TYPE: Equipment and appliances are fixed along two opposite walls and one connecting wall.
- ONE WALL ARRANGEMENT: In this type, equipment and appliances are arranged on one single wall in the kitchen.
- What is kitchen arrangements?
- List and explain types of kitchen plans.
- Label all container clearly.
- Do not store dangerous substances such as bleaches in fruit drink or beverage bottles.
- Arrange equipment and utensils properly.
- Do not obstruct traffic in the kitchen with pieces of equipment.
- Avoid spilling liquid on the floor.
- Put off the gas after use.
- Ensure that there is no gas leakage.
- Do not allow rubbish or refuse to accumulate in the kitchen.
- Clean the kitchen every day.
- Cover all the foods in the kitchen.
- Keep the kitchen dry and well ventilated always.
- All cooking utensils should be washed, rinsed and stored.
- Kitchen dust-bin must be covered every time.
- State three ways of ensuring safety in the kitchen.
- State two kitchen hygiene.
Kitchen equipment is the materials used in the kitchen in carrying out food preparation effectively. There are now more efficient gadgets and products available in today’s home.
Some of these are:
- Yam Pounder
- Electric cooker/kettle
- Fruit squeezer
- Gas cooker
- Cake mixer
- Mortar and pestle
- Grinding stone, etc.
- What is kitchen equipment?
- List six different kitchen equipment that you know.
TYPES OF KITCHEN EQUIPMENT
- Large Equipment: These are materials which occupy a fairly large space in the kitchen, once they put in a particular place, they are hardly moved about. Examples are sink, cookers, cabinets, kitchen table, etc.
- Small Equipment: These are also referred to as kitchen utensils. They are materials that can easily be moved from one place to another. Examples are cutlery, sieves, bowls, pots and pans, etc.
- Mechanical Equipment: These are used to simplify work/task in the kitchen. They assist in reducing the time and energy needed to perform a particular task. They are also referred to as labour-saving devices. Examples are blender, food mixer, refrigerator, microwave oven, etc.
GUIDELINES FOR CHOOSING KITCHEN EQUIPMENT/UTENSILS
- Consider the money available for the purchase of the kitchen equipment.
- The equipment should be durable, simple and easy to use.
- It must be suitable for the right job/task.
- The available space for storing the equipment must also be considered.
- Choose equipment that is time, energy and labour saving.
- If a lid or cover is required for the utensil, it should fit closely.
- The size of the family also determines the type of kitchen equipment to buy.
- The needs of the family.
GENERAL EVALUATION QUESTIONS
- Mention types of kitchen.
- List five kitchen equipment.
- List and explain the kitchen layout.
- State three safety measures to be observed in a kitchen.
- Define the term household waste.
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will be talking about Purchasing, Processing and Preservation of Foods. We are very much eager to meet you there.
For more class notes, videos, homework help etc download our Mobile App HERE
Join ClassNotes.ng Telegram Community HERE for exclusive content and support