Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s English Language class, We will be discussing the Consonants /m/, /n/ and / /. We will also look at Articles in Grammar. We hope you enjoy the class!
- Speech Work: Consonants /m/, /n/, / /
- Grammar: Articles
- Vocabulary Development: Names of Various kinds of Crops
A. Speech Work
Content: Consonants /m/, /n/, / /
EVALUATION: Write out five examples for each sound.
READING ASSIGNMENT: Oral English for Schools and Colleges by Sam Onuigbo M.A. pg 35-66.
Article ‘A’ is used with singular, countable nouns that begin with a consonant. Examples: a ball, a flower, a hat, a pen etc.
‘An’ is used with singular, countable nouns that begin with a vowel Examples: an apple, an egg, an onion, an umbrella etc.
Uses of ‘The’ :
- To refer to a specific person or object:
- The girl standing there is my cousin.
- The blouse you are wearing is very pretty.
- To refer to something which is one of a kind:
- The sky is blue
- The earth is a planet.
- To refer to superlatives:
- This is the coolest place on earth.
- Who is the smartest girl in your class?
- To refer to the names of countries which use the words ‘United’ or ‘Republic’.
- The Republic of Indonesia
Zero Article: No articles are needed for the following:- with uncountable nouns used in a general sense; with abstract nouns in the general sense; with words such as bed, college, home, hospital, market, prison, school, war etc.; with proper nouns; with names of games and activities, roads, diseases etc.
- Sugar is good.
- Knowledge is power.
- Cape Town is in South Africa.
- Measles is infectious.
- There are many large shops along Abeokuta Road.
EVALUATION: Fill in the blanks with ‘a’, ‘an’, ‘the’, or ‘—‘ where necessary
- I usually read ____ newspaper before I take my breakfast
- _____ love of ____ money is ____ root of all ______ evil.
READING ASSIGNMENT: Effective English JS 2 pg. 114 – 118.
C. Vocabulary Development:
Content: Names of Various Kinds of Crops
Most crops can be categorized into grains, fruits and vegetables.
Grains: guinea corn (sorghum) and wheat are grain crops. Most grain crops can also be called cereals or corn.
Fruit: This term is used for crops that grow on trees like pineapples, melons, pumpkins and tomatoes and vegetables.
Vegetables: They are food from smaller plants. They include root or tuber crops like carrots, sweet potatoes, yam. They also include leaves like bitter-leaf, cabbage etc.
EVALUATION: Mention the various divisions of crops.
INSTRUCTION: Choose the correct option for each of the sentences below.
- ‘I don’t know her’, in indirect speech is written as ‘he said that ______________ A. I don’t know her he doesn’t know her C. he didn’t know her
- ‘Do you want one or two oranges written in indirect speech is, ‘I was asking whether ___________ one or two oranges. did you want B. you are wanting C. you wanted
- ‘Don’t study today’ in indirect speech is ‘he told me ______________ no studying today B. don’t study today C. not to study that day
- ‘Do the work tomorrow’ in indirect speech is he instructed me to ____________ A. do the work the previous day do the work the next day C. do the work tomorrow
- ‘Everest is the highest mountain in the world’ in indirect speech is ‘our teacher said that _______________ Everest was the highest mountain in the world B. Everest is the highest mountain in the world. C. Everest had been the highest mountain in the world.
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
We have come to the end of this term. It’s been a remarkable journey and we are glad that you have made it this far. For making it this far, we commend you for being resilient, you have taken charge of your education and future.
The Journey still continues though, we are moving on to Third Term. we hope to see there.
LEARN TO CODE IN 8 WEEKS. Pay Only ₦25000 To Join Class💃
Access Fun Video Lessons to Pass WAEC, NECO, JAMB, POST-UTME in One Sitting💃