Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s English Language class, We will be contrasting the vowels /Ӡ:/, /˄/, /e/, /ә/. We will also talk about Punctuation Marks and Narrative Essay. We hope you enjoy the class!
- Speech Work: Vowel Contrasts /Ӡ:/, /˄/, /e/, /ә/
- Grammar: Punctuation Marks P.132
- Listening Comprehension: A Conversation About a Crime P.130
- Writing: Narrative Essay: My Last Birthday Party
A. Speech Work
Content: Vowel Contrasts
EVALUATION: Write out five words for each sound.
READING ASSIGNMENT: Oral English for Schools and Colleges by Sam Onuigbo, M.A. pg. 7 – 19
B. Grammar: Punctuation Marks.
Content: Commas around Inserted Works.
And what, apart from the honour of being entertained by my family, do you seek here today? Notice the two commas. They separate off the words underlined above and show that the basic sentence is: And what do you seek here today? The comma shows that the words underlined are not part of this basic sentence. It is as if they have been added in or inserted.
Here is another example: we have heard that you have a daughter, unmarried, who is chaste, beautiful and obedient. It is as if unmarried had been inserted as an extra word.
EVALUATION: Effective English P. 132. Prac. 4. (1-5)
C. Listening Comprehension
Content: To understand a conversation about a crime.
Two friends are talking about a crime of forgery. Forgery means printing false currency notes and exchanging them for real money, listen to your teacher as she/he reads the passage to you.
EVALUATION: Complete the table on page 130.
D. Writing: Narrative Essay
My Last Birthday Party
Here are some guidelines to help you in this essay writing.
- When were you born? And where?
- How old are you now?
- When last did you celebrate your birthday?
- Enumerate the preparation you made e.g. invitation, gifts, menu, music, venue etc.
- What happened on the day – dressing, photograph, gifts are given etc.
EVALUATION: In not less than two pages. Write an account of your last birthday party.
GENERAL EVALUATION/REVISION QUESTIONS:
Change the verbs in the bracket to correct form to complete the sentences below.
E.g. Bello is ______________ a letter (write)
Bello is writing a letter.
Now, do this.
- The child had _____________ the entire bottle of water before I came in (drink).
- Ojo has ______________ many plans before the chairman of the company (lay)
- His mother, together with his sister _____________ in the bakery (work)
- Neither the back tyre of the bicycle nor the brakes ____________ faulty (be)
WEEKEND ASSIGNMENT: Effective English for JSS 2 p.g. 151 Practice 2 & 2b
Choose from the list in brackets the preposition that best completes each of the following sentences.
- The advertised price was subject _____________ change. (at; in; to)
- Students must be able to abide _______________ their own decision (to; by; on)
- He bought his dress ______________ the same price you bought yours. (on; with; at)
- We have not arrived _______________ any decision on the matter. (by; with; at)
- A member of the audience said that he did not agree with _____________ the speaker’s remarks. (to; with; about)
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will be talking about Consonant Sounds. We are very much eager to meet you there.
Are you a Parent? Share your quick opinion and win free 2-month Premium Subscription