Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s English Language class, We will be discussing Ryhmes. We will also be looking into Prepositions. We hope you enjoy the class!
- Speech Work: Rhymes
- Grammar: Prepositions
- Comprehension: A Formal Thank You Letter P. 109
- Writing: Argumentative Essay
A. Speech Work: Rhymes
Rhymes are words which have the same sounds, i.e, vowels or consonants.
EVALUATION: Write out five words that rhyme.
READING ASSIGNMENT: Exam Focus English JSCE p. 143-144
B. Grammar: Parts of Speech
Prepositions show the relationship between people, places and things, i.e show a relation between one thing and another. It also relates a noun or a pronoun to another word in the sentence.
She left her muddy shoes on the mat.
I am terrible at tennis but I like the game.
I am going to town.
There is a snake under the table.
They have been writing since three o’clock.
We went to town with my mother.
Many things can be made from rubber.
About before down on towards
Above behind during out under
Across below for opposite underneath
After beneath from over until
Against besides in around up
Along between into since upon
Among beyond near through with
Around by of till within
At despite off to without
EVALUATION: Write five prepositions and form sentences with them.
READING ASSIGNMENT: Exam Focus English JSCE pg.
C. Topic: Comprehension: A Formal Thank You Letter.
Contents: To Understand a Letter
This passage is a formal thank you letter by Joko Samuel.
Secretary, Young Farmers’ Club appreciates Mr O.F. Awe, the project officer of Fashola Farm Settlement who came to give them a talk on farming.
EVALUATION: Practice 2 (1-8) Effective English JSS 2.
READING ASSIGNMENT: Effective English JSS 2 p 109-110
D. Writing: Argumentative Essay
Content: A father is more useful to a child than a Mother.
To help you write this essay, follow this guideline.
Have a title
Who is a father?
What is his role in the family?
Types of Fathers – salary earners or a businessman.
The scale of salary or rate of turn over.
Father as a Shepherd – protecting his family.
Planning the future of his children.
Ownership of children – before and after death.
The role of a father in a child’s life generally etc.
READING ASSIGNMENT: College Essays for Bk. 8 p.49.
GENERAL EVALUATION: Fill in each blank with the correct preposition:
- He was walking ___ the road when he stepped ___ a puddle ___ water.
- Keep on climbing ___ the tree. Don’t look ___ or you will feel dizzy and hold tightly ___ the branches.
- My parents have gone ___ a dinner and I have ___ stay ___ home to look after my younger sisters.
- We have ___ leave today.
WEEKEND ASSIGNMENT: Effective English JSS 2 P – 123 1(a) and (b) and 2 (1-5)
B) Fill the blank space in each of the following sentences
Present Progressive Tense Present Tense Past Tense Present Perfect Tense
- I am finding it out. I _________ it out. I _____ it out I __________ it out
- We are going out. We ________ out. we ________ out we ________ out
- He ________ it. he gives it. He ________ it He ________ it
- He is weaving. He _________. He _________. He ________.
- It is speeding. It __________ . It __________. It _________.
C) Fill the blank space in each of the following sentences with the correct form of the verb in brackets in front of each sentence.
- I __________ the book in the shelf last week (put)
- A snake ___________ the boy last week (bite)
- My teacher __________ me yesterday (teach)
- He was __________ when I saw him (eat)
- He has _________ like a fish (swim)
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will be talking about Word Stress. We are very much eager to meet you there.
Pass WAEC, JAMB, POST-UTME & more in One Sitting for FREE!💃