Welcome to class, I hope you enjoyed the last class. Today we will be talking about the care and uses of clothes. Follow me closely and you will understand what we are about to talk about.
Human beings have three basic needs. These three basic needs of human beings are clothing, food, and shelter. No matter how poor an individual is, these three things are necessities which he or she cannot do without. This explains why clothes are very important to human beings.
Why do we wear clothes?
- To cover our nakedness: Clothes are worn to cover our bodies, so that we don’t walk about naked. Any adult who walks about naked will be seen as a mad person because it is not normal to be naked in a modern society such as ours.
- To keep our bodies warm: Clothes keep our bodies warm when we put them on. When the weather is cold, it is the clothes we wear that keep us from feeling too cold.
- To protect our bodies from injuries: Clothes protect our body from injuries. The sun at times hurts our bodies if we expose ourselves to it. Also many harmful things that could hurt us first make contact with our clothes and this helps to prevent us from being injured.
- Clothes make us look attractive and beautiful: It is fashionable to wear clothes. When we put on clothes we look fine or attractive.
- We wear clothes to protect the body from dirt and infection
- We wear clothes to protect the body against rain, sunshine and insects bites.
Types of Clothes We Wear
- Iro and buba
- T shirt
Types of clothes suitable for different climates
Different types of clothes are suitable for different weather conditions in our environment. Therefore, we need to wear clothes that will suit our environment.
- Cold and wet weather: During this period, thick clothes like jackets, coats, and cardigans should be worn. Raincoats are also worn to prevent being wet by rain during this period.
- Hot and dry weather: In the hot season, light cotton clothes should be worn. Clothes that can easily absorb sweat and allow fresh air to get to our bodies are the most suitable in this period.
Fabrics For Making Clothes
How to Care For Clothes
- We keep clothes clean by washing them with soap and water, after which we spread them out in the sun to dry.
- We should wash our white clothes separately. They should not be washed with coloured ones to avoid staining them.
- When we keep our clothes clean by washing, germs are prevented from entering them. This helps us not to fall sick because germs cause diseases.
- After drying our clothes in the sun, we should iron them so that they can be very neat. When we put on well ironed clothes we look clean and tidy. We should keep our well ironed clothes in our wardrobes or suitcases.
Materials For Washing Clothes
Process of Washing Clothes
Steps in Washing Clothes include:
- Put water in a bucket
- Add some quantity of detergents
- Mix the soap with the water
- Put the clothes in the soapy water
- Soak it for some minutes
- Wash the clothes by rubbing the dirty parts hard between the two hands
- Remove clothes from the soapy water
- Rinse in the clean water until all dirt and soap are washed away
- Squeeze out as much water as possible
- Shake and dry in the shade or in the sun
- Peg the clothes on the line
- Why do we wear clothes?
- How can we care for our clothes?
we have come to the end of today’s class. If you have any question ask using the comment. Thank you for following me.Pass WAEC, JAMB, POST-UTME & more in One Sitting for FREE!💃