Welcome to class, I hope you enjoyed the last class. Today we will be talking about making of clothes II. Follow me closely and you will understand what we are about to talk about.
Tools For Sewing
Sewing tools are materials used in sewing e.g. tape measure, scissors, needle, pins, tailor’s chalk, tumble table for cutting, thread of different colours fabrics, brown paper.
Tools For Measuring
- Ruler: This is used for marking. It is also used in pattern drafting.
- Tape measure: This is used for taking measurement of the body, fabric, etc. They are marked on both sides in inches and centimetres. The tape measure is a standard measuring tool that every sewer should have in their sewing kit.
- Hem marker: This is used for marking the hems of finished garments.
Tools For Marking and Tracing
- Tracing wheel: This is used with carbon paper or tracing paper in transferring marking from pattern to fabrics.
- Tracing paper: This paper comes in manty colours. It is used in transferring pattern markings onto fabrics.
- Tailor’s chalk: This is a special coloured chalk used for making marks on patterns and fabrics.
Tools For Cutting
- Scissors and shears: It is used for cutting paper, fabrics and thread.
Tools For Stitching
- Dressmakers pin
- Pin-cushion and emery bag
A sewing machine is an equipment used for sewing clothes and garments at home and for commercial purposes. The sewing machine is major sewing equipment.
Types of Sewing Machines
There are different types and makes of sewing machines. However, all sewing machines are basically similar in. They may differ in type of number of stitches they make. The following are the types of sewing machines:
- Hand Sewing Machines: This is simple. It is operated just with hand. It requires to be placed on a table. It is used on a table. Easy to work but slower than other types. Sewing is with one hand.
- Treadle Sewing Machine: This is operated with the feet. The worker has both hands free for guiding the work. It normally has a special stand. It is fixed to a stand, quick to use workers has both hands free to guide the work
- Electric Sewing Machine: This is operated with the aid of an electric motor. Some hand and treadle machines could easily be converted to electric sewing machine by using the electric motor.
Parts of a Sewing Machine
- Balance wheel: It is turned either forward or backward to make the machine sew. It raises and lowers the needle.
- Presser foot: It holds the fabric firmly in place for stitching.
- Presser foot lifter: It is used to raise and lower the presser foot. It is at the back of the machine.
- Feed-dog: It holds the fabric tight against the presser foot. It pulls the fabric along for stitching as it moves up and down. It is a teeth-like piece of metal just under the presser foot. It works up and down through the dots in the throat-plate.
- Throat plate: It provided dots or opening through which the needle projects downward and the feed-dog upward.
- Spool pin: This hold the spool of the thread.
- Thread guides: This supports the thread from one part of the machine to another. They prevent the thread from twisting.
- Needle clamp: It is an attachment for the needle.
- Stitch regulator: It is used for shortening or lengthen the stitches or the machine.
- Tension disc: It regulates the tightness of the thread as it forms the stitch.
- Stop motion crew: This is loosened to disconnect the needle and stop it from moving when the machine is operated. It is at the balance wheel.
- Bobbin: It is used for winding the thread which goes in the lower part of the machine.
- Bobbin case: It is the case that holds the bobbin.
Uses of sewing machine
- It is used for sewing pieces of fabrics together.
- It is used to add durability to seams.
- It is used to fix a small hole before it becomes a larger hole.
- It is used to readjust garments so they fit better.
- It is used to recycle old clothing into something new that you will wear rather than throw away and buy new ones.
- It is used to repair clothes.
- It makes stitches regular and better
- Use the right needle for the sewing machine
- Fix needle correctly on the machine before use
- Use the right thread for the right type of work and thickness of the needle.
Advantages of Sewing Machines
- It makes the work to be faster.
- Labour and time is saved.
- Neater, stronger, and lasting work is done
- It can last for a lifetime if handled carefully.
- What is a sewing machine?
- State the three types of sewing machine.
- Mention two advantages of sewing machine
- List five parts of a sewing machine and their functions.
we have come to the end of today’s class. If you have any question ask using the comment. Thank you for following me.Are you a Parent? Share your quick opinion and win free 2-month Premium Subscription