Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s Social Studies class, We will be discussing Marriage. We hope you enjoy the class!
TOPIC: CULTURE AND SOCIAL VALUES II
CONTENT: MEANING OF MARRIAGE
Marriage is the legal coming together of a man and a woman as husband and wife. According to the Bible, marriage was the first institution ordained by God. God created plants, animals and later created Adam and Eve as husband and wife and kept them at the Garden of Eden. It is a marriage that joins a man and a woman to become husband and wife.
- Define marriage.
- Identify the first institution created by God.
TYPES OF MARRIAGE
- Monogamy: This refers to a marital relationship between a man and a woman i.e one husband and a wife.
- Polygamy: This refers to a marital relationship between a man and more than one wife.
- Polyandry: This refers to a marital relationship between a woman and more than one husband.
- Inter – Ethic Marriage: This refers to a marriage relationship between a man and a woman from two different ethnic groups, e.g. when an Igbo man marries a Yoruba woman.
- Intra – Ethnic Marriage: This refers to a marital relationship between a man and a woman from the same ethnic group e. g when a Yoruba man marries a Yoruba woman.
- Christian Marriage: Christian marriage takes place in the church and is conducted by a Priest or a Pastor. Marriage vows are taken by the couple. There is also an exchange of rings. A certificate is also given to the couple.
- Muslim Marriage: Muslim marriage is done according to the principles of the Holy Quran. Another name for Muslim marriage is Nikkah. It is conducted by a Muslim Priest in the house of the bride or Mosque.
- Court Marriage: Court marriage is performed in a court registry by a court registrar or a magistrate. Marriage vows are taken by the couple. There is also an exchange of rings and certificate is given to the couple. It is called ordinance marriage.
Purposes of Marriage
- Marriage is an important means of reproducing members of society. Without marriage, the dead members of society cannot be replaced.
- Marriage is for companionship between husband and wife.
- Marriage unites the families of both husband and the wife together.
- Marriage gives security to the woman and the children.
- It allows the husband and the wife to assist each other.
- A married man or woman is regarded as a responsible person in society.
- Marriage provides a framework for the raising and training of the children.
- In traditional society, marrying many wives gives the man a high status.
- List and explain five types of marriage.
- What are the purposes of marriage?
General Evaluation / Revision Questions
- Who is a minor?
- Identify five effects of sexual abuse on children.
- Define drug trafficking.
- Mention five dangers of drug trafficking.
- Define corruption.
- Macmillan Social Studies book 2 by M.A. Orebanjo et al. Pages 10 – 14.
- Solakat New Syllabus on Social Studies book 2 by Oluwasola Oyewole. Pages 39 – 44.
- Christian marriage normally takes place in the A. house of the bride B. in a big hall C. house of the bridegroom D. church.
- Another name for Muslim marriage is A. Nikkah B. Mikkah C. Sukkah D. Kinnah
- Intra-ethnic marriage is a marriage between A. people from different ethnic groups B. people from the same ethnic group C. people from more than two ethnic groups D. people from the same compound.
- Court marriage takes place in the A. house of the bride B. house of the bridegroom C. court registry D. church.
- Polyandry refers to a marital relationship between A. a man and a woman B. a man and two women C. a woman and a woman D. a woman and more than one husband.
- Define marriage.
- Mention and explain five types of marriage.
- Identify five purposes of marriage
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will continue our conversation Marriage. We are very much eager to meet you there.
Pass WAEC, JAMB, POST-UTME & more in One Sitting for FREE!💃