Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s Social Studies class, We will continue our discussion on Science, Technology and Society. We hope you enjoy the class!
Types of Traditional Science and Technology
Traditional societies refer to the various communities that were in existence in Nigeria before the coming of the British people to Nigeria.
Characteristics of the Traditional Society
- It was agrarian in nature. This means that they were farmers, hunters and fishermen
- Most of their works were done by hands.
- There were no machines in traditional societies.
- People in traditional societies did not know how to read and write. It was a largely illiterate society.
- People in traditional societies had certain superstitious beliefs about the world.
Types of Traditional Science and Technology
- The art of smelting iron ore. They discovered iron ore, smelted it and made various tools such as cutlass, axe, hoe, and arrows. E.g The people of Awka in Anambra state are known as iron smelters.
- They discovered fire by striking stones.
- They used clay to make pots.
- Timber was used to make canoes and boats.
- They discovered herbs used in curing diseases and sicknesses.
- They preserved food by using salt and smoking.
- Animals such as donkey, horses and camels were used as means of transportation.
- The people in traditional societies also identified roots, fruits and vegetables that were edible.
Advantages of African traditional Science and Technology
- It has been used to provide the need of the society.
- It conforms to cultural norms, custom, traditions and practices in the society.
- It suits the economic conditions of the people. i.e. use of local materials like herbs.
- The knowledge is passed from one generation to another
- It has a wide application in agriculture, construction of houses, family life, religion and medicine.
Disadvantages of African traditional Science and Technology
- The knowledge is not recorded or documented and so they are gradually forgotten
- It cannot be scientifically explained because it deals with invisible ideas. E.g invocation, magic etc.
- African technology is gradually phasing out due to modern science and technology.
- Define traditional society.
- Identify the characteristics of traditional societies.
- Mention the types of traditional science and technology.
Some Traditional Science and Technology Influenced by Modernization.
- Transportation: Human beings no longer trek long distances. People are not using animals such as horses and camels to embark on long journeys. The use of modern means of transportation such as cars, trains, ships and aeroplanes have taken over.
- Cooking utensils: Traditional ones such as clay pots, grinding stones etc. have been replaced by modern ones.
- Modern musical instruments such as engines, microphones, drums etc. are now used and they produce melodious tunes.
- Canoes are no longer paddled manually but with the use of engines.
- How has modernization influenced traditional science and technology?
- Differentiate between traditional science and technology and modern science and technology
GENERAL EVALUATION QUESTIONS / REVISION QUESTIONS
- Mention three names different communities in Nigeria call their God.
- Identify five benefits of religious institutions.
- Give the five pillars of Islam.
- What are the purposes of marriage?
- Explain the following: i. Monogamy ii. Polygamy iii. Polyandry.
Macmillan Social Studies Book 2 by M.A. Orebanjo, I.O. Osokoya et.al Pages 42 – 45.
- The people of Awka in Anambra state are known for A. Iron smelting B. Making canoes C. Producing cars D. Making pots
- The people in traditional societies preserved food by using A. Oil B. Water C. Salt D. Refrigerator
- __________ is used to make canoes and boats A. Clay B. Timber C. Cotton D. Iron
- One of the following is not a characteristic of traditional societies A. It was agrarian in nature B. Most of the works were done by hands C. It was an illiterate society D. Most of the works were done with the use of machines.
- Which of the following animals was used as a means of transportation in traditional societies? A. Dog B. Goat C. Cow D. Camel
- Mention five types of traditional science and technology.
- How has modernization influenced some traditional science and technology?
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will continue our discussion on Science, Technology and Society. We are very much eager to meet you there.
For more class notes, homework help, exam practice, download our App HERE
Join ClassNotes.ng Telegram Community for exclusive content and support HERE