Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s Social Studies class, We will be discussing Sexual Abuse in Children. We hope you enjoy the class!
TOPIC: SEXUAL ABUSE IN CHILDREN: ABUSES TO WHICH CHILDREN COULD BE SUBJECTED.
Meaning of Child Abuse
Child abuse is the misuse of children through the exercise of physical force and emotional blackmail.
Child abuse is also an unfair exercise of power over children. Child abuse involves intimidation, isolation; making children feel bad about themselves, child labour and making children comply with sexual activities against their will. It also involves subjecting children to all forms of inhuman treatment and harassment
Forms of Child Abuse
- Forced labour
- Touching or fondling with a child’s sensitive parts of the body eg. Breast, buttocks and reproductive organs.
- Inhuman treatment of a child e.g. inflicting injuries on a child
- Using vulgar language on a child
- Depriving children of their rights eg. Right to education
- Subjecting a child to sexual intercourse with or without his or her consent.
Definition of Child Sexual Abuse
Child Sexual Abuse is a form of child abuse that includes sexual activity with a child or a minor when an adult engages in sexual intercourse with a child; it is called child sexual abuse. The adult has abused the child sexually.
Also, when an adult engages in sexual intercourse with a child with or without the child’s consent, it is child sexual abuse. Children below the age of eighteen are seen as minors; therefore adults are not authorized by law to engage in any form of sexual intercourse with them.
Types of Sexual Abuse
- Sex of any kind with a child including verbal sexual abuse.
- Fondling with a child’s sensitive part of the body e.g. breasts, buttocks etc.
- Adult exposing his nakedness to a child.
- Obscene phone calls and text messages.
- Introducing pornographic films and books to children.
- Define Child Sexual Abuse.
- Mention the various types of Child Sexual Abuse.
- What are the forms of child abuse?
The Type of Adults That Sexually Abuse Children:
The majority of adults or abusers that sexually abuse children are the people that the child or family members know and are familiar with. As many as 93 percentages of victims under the age of eighteen know the abuser or the adult. The adult or abusers are mostly older cousins, uncles, teacher, a coach or instructor, a caretaker etc.
Effects of Sexual Abuse on Children
- Unwanted pregnancy.
- Sexually transmitted diseases e.g. HIV/AIDS.
- Difficulty in walking or sitting.
- Bloodstains on the clothes.
- Bleeding, bruises or swelling in the organ.
- Develops phobia.
- Runs away from home or school.
- Expresses suicidal thoughts.
- Stigmatization and rejection.
Steps To Take If Sexually Abused
- Report to your teachers if abused in the school.
- Report to your parents or trusted adults
- Go to the hospital for proper medical attention.
- Report the case to the police.
- Mention the type of adults that abuse children.
- Who is a minor?
GENERAL EVALUATION/REVISION QUESTIONS
- Define rape.
- What are the effects of sexual abuse on children?
- Identify the steps to take if sexually abused.
- Mention four natural resources that are found in Nigeria.
- Differentiate between social and physical environments of man.
Fundamentals of Social studies for Basic 8 (Jss 2), by Sola Akinyemi pages 1- 2
- Child sexual abuse is a form of child abuse that includes sexual activity with a _______ (a) minor (b) adult (c) old person
- All the following are types of sexual abuse except (a) rape (b) sexual intercourse (c) flogging a child
- ll the following are effects of sexual abuse on children except (a) Unwanted Pregnancy (b) HIV/AIDS (C) Wanted Pregnancy
- A minor is a person (a) below eighteen years (b) above eighteen years (c) who is between 20-30 years old
- One of the following is a step to take when sexually abused (a) Do not report to your teacher (b) Do not report to your parents (c) Report to the police
- Identify five effects of sexual abuse.
- Mention four steps to take when sexually abused
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will be talking about Drug Abuse. We are very much eager to meet you there.
Pass WAEC, JAMB, POST-UTME & more in One Sitting for FREE!💃