Welcome to JSS2 Third Term!
We’ve had a remarkable journey from the First term to this moment. We are going to continue our journey into the world of Social Studies.
In today’s class, We will be discussing Science, Technology and Society. Enjoy the class!
TOPIC: Science, Technology and Society
Meaning of Science and Technology
Science is an organized body of knowledge which depends on theory. It can also be defined as the systematic study of nature. It follows a logical pattern of observing a natural phenomenon.
Technology is the application of scientific knowledge to solve practical problems. Technology involves the practical uses of scientific knowledge and ideas to make tools and machines. Science is the raw material used in the production of goods and services while technology is regarded as the finished products.
The Relationship between Science and Technology:
- Both science and technology use systematic methods.
- Scientific knowledge is the raw material of technology
- Scientific knowledge benefits society through technology.
- Technological products are more visible in society than specific knowledge and ideas
- There can be no technology without science.
Patterns/Procedures Normally Adopted by Scientists
- The problem is recognized through observation.
- A hypothesis is formulated to explain the problem. A hypothesis is a statement that may be proved to be right or wrong.
- The scientist will then collect the necessary information or data on the problem.
- Testing of the hypothesis: The scientist compares the information collected with the hypothesis to see if they agree or not. This is also called experimentation and analysis.
- Conclusion: The scientist concludes by saying whether his hypothesis has been proved or not.
If the findings of the scientist are published and accepted by other scientists, it becomes a theory.
A scientific theory is a body of ideas borne out of observation, experimentation and analysis.
- Define science and technology
- What is the relationship between science and technology?
Importance of Science and Technology
- Science and technology have improved health care services to the extent that diseases and sicknesses could be prevented and cured.
- It is now easier and faster to move man and goods from one place to another through the modern means of transportation e.g cars, lorries, trains and aeroplanes.
- The modern system of communication has reduced the whole world to a global village. Examples of modern means of communication are radio, television and newspapers.
- The uses of modern means of production such as tractors, harvesters and fertilizer have led to the large production of agricultural products in the world.
- A computer can now calculate figures which could take a man a number of days in a few minutes.
- Science and technology have made man to live a comfortable and less stressful life. Man can no longer trek long distances due to the inventions of cars, trains, ships and aeroplanes.
- Communication is now very easy and faster with the use of telephones and internet services.
Problems of Science and Technology
- Science and technology have increased the rate of accidents on our roads and in industries.
- Science and technology have led to an increase in the rate of plane crashes.
- They have also led to an increase in the crime rate.
- They have caused the pollution of air and water.
- Science and technology have increased the incidence of wars in the world.
- Science and technology have led to the development of dangerous weapons such as guns and atomic bombs that can destroy lives and property.
- Industrial wastes such as plastics and cans which cannot easily decay constitute a mess to our surroundings.
Solutions to Problems of Science and Technology
- Pollution is being solved through a process called recycling. Re-cycling refers to the use of wastes from aluminium steel, plastics, nylon etc. to make new products.
- Solar energy is being developed all over the world in order to reduce pollution caused by the use of petroleum products such as fuel, diesel and gas.
- United Nations Organization (UNO) is making efforts to prevent or at least reduce the incidence of wars in the world.
SELF EVALUATION QUESTIONS
- What is the importance of science and technology?
- How has science and technology reduced the world to a global village?
GENERAL SELF EVALUATION QUESTIONS / REVISION QUESTIONS
- Define value.
- Give five importance of value.
- Identify the sources of value.
- Define religion.
- Mention the three types of religious institutions.
Fundamentals of Social Studies by Sola Akinyemi Book 2 Pages 88 – 89.
- All the following are examples of science and technology except A. cars B. aeroplanes trains D. artworks
- ____ is an organized body of knowledge A. Science B. Technology C. Evolution D. Revolution
- ____is the application of scientific knowledge to solve practical problems A. Science B. Evolution
- Technology D. Revolution.
- Which of the following statement is not correct? A. Scientific products are more visible than technological products. B. Technological products are more visible than scientific products C. There can be no technology without science D. Scientific knowledge is the raw materials of technology.
- All the following are the importance of science and technology except A. Health care has improved through science and technology B. Movement of people and goods is faster through science and technology C. science and technology have turned the world into a global village D. Science and technology has led to an increase in road accidents.
- Differentiate between science and technology.
- Mention five importance of science and technology.
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will be talking about Science, Technology and the Society II. We are eager to meet you there.Are you a Parent? Share your quick opinion and win free 2-month Premium Subscription