Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s English Language class, We will be working on our Dictation. We hope you enjoy the class!
Some words are commonly misspelt for the following reasons:
- transpositions of letters e.g., “ie” and “ei” as in:
2) assimilation of a letter as in:
debt ‘b’ is not pronounced
listen ‘t’ is not pronounced
honest ‘h’ is not pronounced
pneumonia ‘p’ is not pronounced
sword ‘w’ is not pronounced
3) The contemporary convention of shortening some words as in:
Exam – Examination
Libry – Library
Lab – Laboratory
Program – Programme
4) Some different letters are pronounced alike:
gh f ph ff
cough half graph cuff
ck c k que
cock zinc pink boutique
5) words with double consonants as in:
6) Noun plurals as in:
7) Word class as in:
Correct the following words.
Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary; English Grammar by P.O Olatunbosun.
Read page 97-98 of English Grammar by P.O Olatunbosun.
GENERAL EVALUATION/REVISION QUESTIONS
- Use a pronoun or an adverb as sub-ordinate conjunction to fill the space in each of the sentences.
- Ladi is the student _______ solved the problem
- The book _________ I read has forty pages.
- The student _________ he flogged wept bitterly.
- She arrived _________ we expected her.
- He will eat ___________ you give him.
- Fill in the gap with the correct letter(s).
- privile_e (g, dg)
- boyco_ (t, tt)
- d_lapidated (e, i)
- extra_dinary (o, or, au)
- di_atified (s, ss)
Do tests for continuous assessment nos 1 (1 – 10) and 2(1-5), page 155 of Effective English Bk3
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will be learning about Suffixes in Vocabulary Development. We are very much eager to meet you there.
Pass WAEC, JAMB, POST-UTME & more in One Sitting for FREE!💃