Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s English Language class, We will be learning about Question Tags. We will also be reading the poem A deserted Palm Tree. We hope you enjoy the class!
GRAMMAR: Question Tags
In all types of questions, the verbs in both the question and the answer must be in the same tense.
If the verb in the question is in the present tense, the verb in the answer must also be in the present tense.
Question tags/ tag questions are mostly used when you want your listener(s) to agree with you on something.
The rules that govern tag questions are as follows:
- Positive Statement, Negative Tag, Positive Answer.
- Negative Statement, Positive Tag, Negative Answer.
- An auxiliary verb repeats itself in the tag, but main verbs use the appropriate forms of the verb “Do”
- In a complex sentence, the tag is picked from the main clause.
- Statements containing negators are regarded as negative statements.
Study the examples below:
|We are good friends,||Aren’t we?||Yes, we are.|
|You will do the work,||Won’t you||Yes, I will.|
|She was there,||Wasn’t she?||Yes, she was.|
|They didn’t send it,||Did they?||No, they didn’t.|
|We haven’t many oranges,||Do we?||No, we don’t.|
|We went to the place,||Didn’t we?||Yes, we did.|
Evaluation: Do practice 2on page 93 of Effective English for JSS 3.
Reference: English Grammar for JSS 3 by P.O Olatunbosun, page 76-77; Effective English Book 3, page 93.
POEM: A Deserted Palm Tree
- The poem is about a palm tree that once blossomed and housed a lot of birds but now has withered and as such deserted by all. The poem is a metaphor. The palm tree represents a powerful king that lost his glory.
The following figures of speech are used in the poem to realize its meaning.
- Simile- line 2
- Alliteration- lines 2 and 3
- Metaphor – lines 12, 13 and 15
- Assonance- lines 1, 2 and 3
Evaluation: Define and give two examples each for the following figures of speech.
Reference: Effective English for JSS Book 3
Reading Assignment: Read the poem on page 41of Effective Book 3 and summarize it in your own words.
GENERAL EVALUATION/REVISION QUESTIONS
Give the meanings and then assess the effectiveness of the literary devices used in the poem, “A Deserted Palm Tree.”
Write out the meanings of the following proverbs;
- Little strokes fell great oaks.
- Lost time is never found.
- If the wishes were horses, beggars m
Weekend Assignment: Do the tests for Continuous Assessment on page 79 of Effective English. Nos. 1 and 2
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will be learning about the Theory of Literature. We are very much eager to meet you there.
Pass WAEC, JAMB, POST-UTME & more in One Sitting for FREE!💃