Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s English Language class, We will learn about Questions Tags. But before then, lets read a Comprehension first. We hope you enjoy the class!
- Summary of the passage
The passage is all about the preparation made by Ibuza women towards the arrival of their son who was returning from the U.K. They all bought the same cotton materials, made it into the same style, dyed and straightened their hair.
Do practice 2, page 127 of Effective English bk. 3
Effective English bk3
Read unit 8, page 126 of effective English bk.3
Structure: Question Tags.
There are different types of questions. There are ‘WH’’ questions, Yes/No questions, statement questions, question tags, etc
Question tags are actually a kind of Yes/No question. They are usually attached to the end of a statement. However, in all types of questions, the verb in both the question and the answer must be in the same tense. Question tags are mostly used when you want your listener (s) to agree with you on something. There are rules that govern tag questions and answers. These are:
- Positive Statement, Negative Tag, Positive Answer.
- Negative Statement, Positive Tag, Negative Answer
- An auxiliary verb repeats itself in the tag, but main verbs use the appropriate forms of the verb ‘Do’
- In a complex sentence, the tag is picked from the main clause.
The following are examples:
- She is leaving now, isn’t she? Yes, she is.
- You will come back for me, won’t you? Yes, I will.
- The children can’t do the sums, can they? No, they can’t.
- They have some oranges, don’t they? Yes, they do.
- Bola can sing very well when she is happy, can’t she? Yes, she can.
Do practice 2 on page 93 of Effective English bk.3
Exam Focus: English for JSCE; English Grammar by P.O Olatunbosun; Countdown English by Ogunsanwo.
Read English Grammar for J.S.S, page 76-79.
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will learn about Writing Informal Letters. We are very much eager to meet you there.
Pass WAEC, JAMB, POST-UTME & more in One Sitting for FREE!💃