Welcome to today’s class!!
We are excited to have you join our class!!
In today’s English class, we will be learning about Differences Between Pair of Sentences
Differences Between Pair of Sentences
Sentences are used everyday. They are found in our conversations, discussions and writings. We cannot talk about the English language without talking about sentences.
However, when we talk about pairs of sentences, we can imagine them to be like twins who are not identical. Since they are twins, we know they are siblings but they do not look alike. But because we know they are related by blood, we are going to take a look at some things that A has and B doesn’t have.
Differences between pairs of sentences helps us in understanding how sentences containing some similar words could be different.
Remember that a sentence is a group of words used to express a complete thought. And when we talk about a pair, we are simply referring to two things.
Let’s take a look at the examples of pairs of sentences.
- Although they did not win the game, they came out on top tactically.
- Although they came out on top tactically, they did not win the game.
The sentences do not have the same information in the dependent clause and in the main clause. The information in the dependent clauses is a bit less important than the information in the main clauses. So in the first one it seems more important that they came out on top, and in the second one it seems more important that they did not win.
Other examples are:
- Felix turned back to the fire and spoke to them.
- Felix spoke to them and turned back to the fire.
- She was the leader because she knew what she wanted to do.
- She was the leader and she knew what she wanted to do.
- Peter smiled when Mary took a picture.
- Mary took a picture when Peter smiled.
- Sandra and Tom are very different, but they are good friends.
- Even though Sandra and Tom are very different, they are good friends.
In summary, a better way to understand pair of sentences is by first understanding that a pair means two things, and differences between a pair of sentences are those things that make sense one different from sentence two; what can be found in sentence 1, the thoughts expressed in it that cannot be found in Sentence 2.
What is a sentence?
Explain what you understand by the difference between a pair of sentences.
Give 5 examples showing differences between a pair of sentences.
We hope you enjoyed today’s class. In our next class, we will be learning about Dictation of Suitable Passage.
Let us know your thoughts and questions in the comment section, and we will attend to them as fast as we can.For more class notes, videos, homework help etc download our Mobile App HERE
Join ClassNotes.ng Telegram Community HERE for exclusive content and support