You are welcome to today’s class!!
We are excited to have you join our class!!
In today’s English class, we will be learning about Guide To Good Essay Writing
In our previous classes where we talked about the concept of essay writing, we looked at how an essay can be described as a detailed piece of writing designed to inform or persuade a reader. Also, we looked at the four types of essay namely; argumentative essay, expository essay, descriptive essay and narrative essay.
In writing any of these essays, it is important to understand the steps involved. So, let’s take a listen to how we learn about the guide to good essay writing.
Guide To Good Essay Writing
In writing a good essay, you must do these:
- Read and understand the topic: You must know exactly what is being asked of you. It’s a good idea to break the ideas you have into parts.
- Brainstorm: Allowing your brain to think about how you can gather convincing points and organize your ideas will make your work much easier when you choose to write a good essay. It’s a good idea to make a list of your ideas and supporting details.
- Use and mention your sources: You can choose to gather different reading materials, use quotes and change words from your sources, but avoid copying. Those sources represent the places you gained your ideas from.
- Write a draft before the final copy: Writing a draft allows you to have enough opportunity to get your work looked at by your teachers. The more drafts you have, the more opportunity you have in making a perfect essay.
- Make a strong Argument: The strong argument of the essay is the most important thing you’ll write. Make it a strong point.
- Respond to the questions thrown at you: Once you have worked out all issues in your draft, you can start writing the final draft of your essay.
- Proofread: This allows you to read your response carefully to make sure that there are no mistakes and that you didn’t miss anything.
Although the conclusion paragraph comes at the end of your essay it should not be seen as an afterthought. The final paragraph is a representation of your last chance to make your case and, as such, should follow a well convincing and interesting paragraph.
In summary, reading and understanding your topic, brainstorming, using and mentioning your sources, writing a draft, making a strong argument amongst others and having a convincing conclusion paragraph, helps you in writing a good essay.
Highlight all the important steps involved in writing a good essay.
Go through all of the previous essays taught in the class and identify anything that is not well understood in your note.
You have been asked to write an essay on this topic: Nigeria is the best country in Africa. State three reasons why you think your essay will be chosen as the best.
We hope you enjoyed today’s class. In our next class, we will be looking at Argumentative Essay.
Don’t forget to drop your questions in the comment section. Trust us to respond to them as soon as possible.
For more class notes, homework help, exam practice, download our App HERE
Join ClassNotes.ng Telegram Community for exclusive content and support HERE